The Porta Maggiore ("Larger Gate"), is one of the eastern gates in the ancient but well-preserved 3rd century Aurelian Walls of Rome. Through the gate ran two ancient roads: the Via Praenestina and the Via Labicana. The Via Prenestina was the eastern road to the ancient town of Praeneste. The Via Labicana heads southeast from the city.
Points of interest
Close by the gate, just outside the wall, is the unusual Tomb of the Baker, built by Marcus Virgilius Eurysaces. In 1915 a subterranean Neopythagorean basilica was discovered nearby on the Via Praenestina, dating from the 1st century.
The original gate was built centuries before the wall in 52 by the emperor Claudius, and is formed by arches through two aqueducts, the Aqua Claudia and the Anio Novus. It was constructed as a monumental double archway built of white travertine. It contains inscriptions in praise of the emperors Claudius, Vespasian, and Titus for their work on the aqueducts. It was first known as the Porta Prenestina.